Mopping is one of cleaning activity that you will need to do at least once in your life. It seems pretty t of easy, but actually, it is kind of surprising how a lot of people might have done it in wrong way. Your quality of mopping will determine the durability of your flooring. If you did not do it in the correct way, you will only tire yourself without really removing all dirt from the floor. So here are three things that you need know to use a mop effectively.
- Learning about the floor material
A different material of flooring requires different treatment. If you use a wrong cleaning agent, it can bring damages to the material, such as losing the original color or texture. Wooden, linoleum and stone flooring will not stand strong chemical, therefore using ammonia, vinegar, or oil-based cleaners will leave residue and damage the surface. Tile is more durable than those three materials, so you can use vinegar and disinfectant to do a more thorough cleaning once every few months. It is best to use the product that is recommended when you first buy the material, or simply use mild dish soap if you can afford the recommended one.
- Choosing the right mop for your floor
There are several types of mops that you can find in the cleaning department and actually, each of it serves a different purpose. You need to know how to use it properly to get the best result of your cleaning.
- Sponge mops are one of the most common household mops because it has a great absorbance and very easy to wring out. Using this kind of mop will prevent you make the floor too wet and reach the space under your furniture. However, this kind of mop is difficult to clean and do not work good enough with corners and edges.
- String mops are also commonly used for household needs and actually pretty easy to use. People love using this mop because it is light, easy to clean off and can reach edges and corner pretty well. However, it can leave plenty of water residue and not as durable as sponge mops.
- Strip mops are really good to cover a large area, therefore people usually use it for commercial or public places. It requires more strength to use than the other two but can do the job pretty fast. You will need to wring it out completely before applying it on the floor to avoid making the floor to wet and clean it out thoroughly before storing it since the dirt usually stuck on its strings.
- Cloth mops require more effort than the other type of mops but can be the cleanest if you use it right. It is best to use in a small area, such as a dormitory room or apartment. Using cloth mop allows you to make sure there is no dirt and stain left and also measure the wetness depends on what you need.
- Preparing the floor before mopping
People often make mistake by doing half job on sweeping because they think that they are going to mop it anyway. Sweeping the floor is really important because mopping cannot pick up debris and crumbs, such as fallen hairs and food crumbs. You will need a good broom to pick all those debris and the mop will take care of the stain and dust. You also need to remove all flooring items, such as rugs, mat, or carpet before you mop or it can create a dust line that will reveal the area that you did not clean.